Monday, May 14, 2007

Tag, I'm it!

Web at blog from the windowsill has tagged me with the "What are you Reading?" meme, which is my kind of meme: a really easy one.

So, what am I reading? Well, I'm in the middle of Hattie Big Sky, by Kirby Larson, and liking it just fine. It's exactly what I'm in the mood for: a straightforward, thumpy historical novel with a nice appealing narrator, some letters mixed in, and just enough political social consciousness (as the anti-German sentiment of 1917 brings up some parallels with the current political situation) to help me feel plugged into the present day.

I'm also in the middle of Pretties, having double-barrelled through Uglies as fast as I could, on paper at home and via audiobook on my commute. I got stalled on Pretties about two-thirds of the way through--the dystopia just got to me all of a sudden--and picked up Hattie instead. I figured I'll save Pretties for the car this week.

On my night-table: Castle Waiting, Forever in Blue, Kiki Strike, A Swift Pure Cry (someone recommended it-- can't remember who), Total Constant Order (an ARC) and the last few issues of the New Yorker.

On my reserve list at the public library: The Talented Clementine (my whole family can't wait to read it), Specials (in print and audiobook format), and a whole slew of audiobook versions of the 2008 Young Reader's Choice Award nominees.

Books read recently that I plan to write about but haven't yet: Tripping to Somewhere, The Bermudez Triangle, and more books than I want to admit that I need to review for the Puget Sound Council.

I'm tagging: Charlotte, Dawn, and anyone else who hasn't done this meme yet.

Guilty conclusion drawn from this meme: I really, really need to update my "recently read" list over there on the sidebar. Oops.

5 comments:

Little Willow said...

Hattie Big Sky: So very good.

Pretties: Pretty. Oh, just wait until you get to Specials!

FiB: *shudder*

Kiki: Okay. I wanted more out of it. Going to read the sequel and hope it is stronger.

TCO: Good. Solid. I really liked Fin's honesty.

The Bermudez Triangle: Read it! Read ALL of Maureen's books! :)

Charlotte said...

Hi Els, thanks for tagging me and giving me my topic for today!

cheers,
Charlotte

Anonymous said...

Just read The Bermudez Triangle, and enjoyed it very much. Now I want to read Maureen Johnson's 13 Little Blue Envelopes.

Got Kiki from the library yesterday.

Sadly, my library doesn't even have The Talented Clementine on its "on order" list yet! They seem quite slow to get new books. I recently discovered they have a "request this book" link and requested that and So Totally Emily Ebers.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and let me know what you think of Shakespeare's Secret, on your nominees list. I enjoyed the characters and writing, but the Shakespeare part ticked me off a bit. (Will wait till you've read it to explain that.)

Dawn of the Read said...

My whole blog is what I am reading, silly ;)