Monday, February 19, 2007

First Squawk

Welcome to Book Book Book!

At college they taught me to cite my sources, so if I don't start with a link to the original joke from which this blog gets its name, I'm sure to be haunted by the ghost of M. Carey Thomas. I heard it on the Prairie Home Companion joke show about ten years ago; then a professor in a library class told it; then it was everywhere.

Several years ago the joke was expanded into a picture book by Deborah Bruss. I read it to kindergarteners at the beginning of the year. They liked it pretty well, though it hasn't been received with the avid hysteria of my other September library class kick-off title this year, Once Upon a Cool Motorcycle Dude (which has nothing to do with chickens, but what the hey; if you ever have to read a book about writing or fairy tales or sex roles or collaboration to a group of elementary-school-age kids, and have them rolling in the aisles as a bonus, this is the one. I swear I've never in nine years had so many kids begging me to read a book again.)

Speaking of chickens and kids' books, old M. Carey will also come after me if I don't acknowledge another kidlit blog with a chicken-related title: the fabulous Chicken Spaghetti. I don't know the author and have only lurked on the site, but it's as comprehensive a children's lit review as you could hope to see. And I totally covet the chicken picture on the masthead.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so excited about your blog. Hooray! Welcome to the kidlit community, where we can be counted on to indulge our inner child as much as possible.

Good luck. I'll be back!

Anonymous said...

Book, Book, Book! One of my absolute favorites. I am amused just thinking of that chicken...

Welcome to Land O' Blogs. It's such fun here. And thanks for those very kind words about Chicken Spaghetti.

Unknown said...

I could use a new read aloud, I'm in the midst of job doldrums so I just ordered Once Upon a Motorcycle Dude - thanks for the suggestion!